The Mine Safety Institute of Peru (ISEM) announced that Minera Las Bambas had won the first place of the XXIV National Safety Competition (2020) under the Open Pit category. The formal announcement was notified by letter, N° 089–2021-EVE, and addressed to Edgardo Orderique, our General Manager.
The Evaluation Committee is comprised of members of the National Society of Mining, Petroleum and Energy (SNMPE), Ministry of Energy and Mines (MINEM), Peruvian Institute of Mining Engineers (IIMP), Peruvian Association of Engineers (CIP), and Mine Safety Institute of Peru (ISEM). The following evaluation criteria was considered for the competition:
- Absence of fatal incidents during the year. The evaluation period runs until March of the next year.
- Frequency rate less or equal to 4 for underground mining; and less than 3 for open pit mining, refinery and welding.
- Severity rate less than 100 for underground mining companies; and less than 50 for open pit mining, refinery and welding companies.
- More than a million man-hours worked.
- To deliberate on a winner, the Evaluation Committee contemplated the score-ranking and audit reports previously submitted by the Regulatory Agency for Investment in Energy and Mining (OSINERGMIN).
“This much deserved award reflects the high-level and solid safety commitment from our people. The recognition drives Las Bambas to continue working on safety – a core priority for our company,” said Edgardo Orderique, who was joined by other Las Bambas managers during the August 17 online awards ceremony.
“The health and safety of Las Bambas people is fundamental to the company’s operation. Let´s continue working on consolidating this zero incident culture.”